.

.

A trip to Dad's hometown

18 December 2012 —

Raymond/Southbend WA! This place is a hidden jewel I tell you.


It was so good to stop in for a night and catch up with our Uncle Galen, he has got to be one of the nicest (and hardest working) people I know. He and our Aunt Nell run a school up on the mountain and just from the little amount of time we spent there you can tell the kids are crazy about him as well. The picture below is the school house/dormitory he built, its pretty impressive.
 Lately I've been so dumbfounded with how different my perspective on things is now as opposed to when I was younger ( a novel concept right?). People I used to see as mean I now know were just lovingly strict and towns I used to find boring are now just safe places to raise a family. I grow up and my outlook changes, i'm still grasping it. I loved going back to where my Dad grew up. Aaron and I spent the morning driving past the bay he played in with his friends and the high school he attended. The house he grew up in and the place where our grandparents are now buried. It was neat to look around and picture him at my age growing up there.Going to Dairy Queen for blizzards and wondering what on earth to do on a Saturday night. Raymond is still small, and I'm sure it's still boring. The cell service is spotty and there's only one decent grocery store. But it's a safe town with a slow pace and a homey feel and I like knowing it's where my Dad grew up. It gave me such a better sense of why he's so fond of it there. It's kind of awesome and it kind of (i think i love it and might move there someday?) rubs off on you. Maybe that's why my dad's kind of awesome? Raymond, what a surprising treat you were.